Sunday, July 29, 2012

Tattoos fulfill a need to inscribe the self as an individual. -Margo Demello

there she is...
Clearly impulsivity is a problem for me...I was walking home last night and decided I was getting a tattoo.

And now, I have a tattoo.

I guess I've always wanted one, I've been talking about getting one forever.  I don't think anyone actually thought I'd go through with it.  I didn't ever think I would do it either.  I honestly don't know what came over me.  Maybe it's a combination of creating myself and the need to find whatever I think is missing in my life.  

I guess the next question is why a peacock feather?  Those of you who know me well, know that I have a weird thing for hawks and an even odder adoration for peacocks.   Maybe it's all the colours, or maybe its the alluring feather, I really don't know.  Another think that I like about the feather, its associated with Hera.  Hera is the queen of the gods.  She is one of the most powerful woman in Greek mythology if you ask me.  (not only am I an archaeology student, also have a classicist minor) I also looked up the meanings.  These are the ones I liked best.  

Peacock feather:

General
Peacock feathers represent pride, and by extension, nobility and glory. Peacocks are also known to eat poisonous plants with no ill effects, making their feathers a symbol of incorruptibility and immortality.

Ancient Greek Meanings
In ancient Greece, the peacock was the patron bird of the goddess Hera. According to myth, she placed "eyes" on its feathers, symbolizing all-seeing knowledge and the wisdom of the heavens.

Hindu Meanings
Hindu mythology associates peacocks with the god Lakshmi. The feathers thus represent his qualities: kindness, patience and good fortune.

Buddhist Meanings
Buddhists associate peacock feathers with openness, since the birds display everything when they spread their tails. Buddhists also ascribe great meaning to the bird's diet of poisonous plants--the ability to thrive in the face of suffering.



- complements of: http://www.squidoo.com/peacockfeathertattoos




Peace and Love!!




No comments:

Post a Comment